image click

FOR ALL IMAGES YOU FIND HERE CLICK TWICE TO ZOOM FOR DETAIL

Friday, July 6, 2007

THIS IS FURNITURE?!

This is furniture? Sure, except for some wayward pieces (more on this later), what you see is fully functional furniture. It’s not what most people are looking for, or needing, when they shop at Ikea, or Ethan Allen, or your Interior Designers catalog, or even what you might find at a craft fair, or most galleries. I’m not interested in Modernism, Shaker, or Craftsman styling, I love all these styles and many more, but there are a multitude of woodworkers around doing that sort of work.

I have minimal design interest in a beautifully grained piece of wood (even though I will use it if it is appropriate and enhances the particular design at hand, but it is not the basis for my designs), nor dovetails and other typical woodworker details. Through the years I have done all of that kind of work. I am more interested in a ‘fully realized’ design, unique to my thinking. My “style” changes over time and I am not interested in working in current studio furniture trends - I’ll use paint or found objects, but only when it fits my idea (I'm doing a painted desk right now, pics later as I get farther along). I do use traditional techniques and materials in ways both standard, and the unorthodox when it is appropriate to my intent. I also introduce new materials and new techniques I have developed, and use new technologies whenever I can. I’m more interested in getting my ideas out there than in the ‘doing’, I’ve been at this a long time and the romance of ‘doing’ went away a while back. The process is necessary and I am unfortunately bound by a determination to demand excellent craftsmanship always, but my satisfaction is in the idea and the end result.

What I offer, and am very fortunate to be able to design and sell, is a very personal approach to design. I work thematically, following a design train of thought; even conceptually, tweaking and reworking expectations and willing to provoke and make people smile and wonder at the piece, rather than just sit on it. I believe in graceful lines with an architectural awareness, and an ever constant effort to explore unique, creative design to the fullest. And, yes, I believe in comfort, structural integrity and functionality.

I do not come from the Industrial Design perspective which adheres most eloquently to budget and profit. Instead, I’m on a search, I have a story to tell. I respond more to environmental intrigue - what’s going on around me. With the commission work I am aware and sensitive to my potential clients lifestyle and desires, but I try to maintain a personal integrity to what I come up with. That’s not to say that I don’t grow and learn from each client I meet, I do, but you probably won’t get me to do edgebanded kitchen cabinets, unless……what if I….? (nah, just kidding)

2 comments:

  1. I must say that you and Greg Wilbur were my two most enjoyable interviews. I admire your artistic integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having had quite a few interviews, articles written about me, even a story on OPB TV's "Oregon ArtBeat", I have to say that it is always an honor to be chosen. Thank you for even considering me for an article, it means a lot. There are so many talented people out in our world, many more deserving than me.

    You were persisitant and very thorough in the interview process -at times it was a little unnerving realizing you not only heard what I had said but had incorporated my meandering thoughts into the article!

    Knowing a lot of people with wonderful creative talents, I also know how hard it is to get one's work to the attention of an interested public. The personailty and the venues available don't always mesh. So when writers do what you do by diligently asking and pursuing, by seeking out the 'outsider' artists, those with serious talents but little public visibilty, you are giving the readers access to those outside the normal venues like galleries and craft fairs. And you are giving the artists an opportunity to tell their story.

    Many thanks to you, and to the Oregonian for offering these kind of stories, for a wonderful article. Terry

    ReplyDelete